Born in 1946 on February 28 in the city of Orsk, Orenburg Region. He graduated from the Faculty of Applied Arts of the Moscow Textile Institute (1978).
Exhibition activity began in 1979. Since then, the constant participant in the majority of Moscow, Republican, All-Union and foreign exhibitions.
• In 1987 and 1989 personal exhibitions of V. I. Khmelevsky were held at the Anna Karenskaya Gallery (Poznan, Poland). Member of the Moscow Union of Artists since 1994.
• In 2005, the exhibition at the Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs "Our Beautiful Motherland", together with S. Pynina and G. Khmelevskaya.
• Personal exhibition "" Nature and Man "in the State Exhibition Hall" Bogorodskoe "in 2008
• Personal exhibition in April 2009. At the Academy of the Federal Security Service of Russia together with Galina Khmelevskaya.
• Diploma MOHF RSFSR for the creation of a series of works commissioned by the Agricultural Academy. Timiryazev in 1984
• Diploma of the Association of Artists of Graphic Arts in 2009
• Medal of the Moscow Union of Artists "For merits in the development of fine art" in 2011
• Gratitude of the Minister of Culture R.F. "For a great contribution to the development of culture, many years of fruitful work" August 2016
• Diploma of 1 degree. Russian Art Festival "Pereslavskaya Autumn" 2016
His works are in museums and private collections in Russia, Germany, Poland, France, Italy, the United States and other countries.