Description of the artwork «Grigorovich-Barsky's Pilgrimage to St. Lazarus Orthodox Church in Larnaca»
Vasily Grigorovich Grigorovich-Barsky (1701-1747) - pilgrim, traveler, writer, publicist, Orthodox monk.
In 1727 Grigorovich-Barsky arrived in Cyprus for the 2nd time and visited Larnaca.
At that time, the Church of St. Lazarus did not yet have its present four-tiered bell tower, which was not erected until 1857. During the entire period of Turkish rule, it was the only church in Cyprus where bell ringing was permitted. However, for the lack of a bell tower (the Turks only allowed them to be built in 1856), the bells were attached to wooden pillars standing on pedestals