Description of the artwork «Study for "Christ at the Tomb»
The work is preparatory to the canvas currently in the parish church of Saint-Ursmer in Eppe-Sauvage, "Le Christ au Tombeau", referenced in Séailles' catalog under number 14; it is therefore an early work by the artist. The final painting, in large format (226x340cm), was exhibited at the 1848 Salon, a priori under number 1148 (information not verified); it may have been commissioned by the state in 1845. The painting was first placed in the Chapelle du Séminaire de Gap, where Séailles situates it; for some unknown reason, it seems that the Séminaire de Gap wished or was forced to part with this work, which was first offered to the town of Montargis in 1879, who refused it due to its large dimensions. It was subsequently sent to Eppe-Sauvage in 1881, where it remains to this day. Séailles was probably unaware of this unlikely move. Note that this painting sometimes appears under the later title "Le Christ mort" ("The Dead Christ").