Head of the Sector of Restoration of Old Russian Paintings at the State Russian Museum from 1972 to 1983. Irma Vasilyevna Yarygina led the Restoration Commission - restorers of Old Russian paintings of the Russian Museum
In 1953 she graduated from the Department of Theory and History of Art of the Repin Leningrad Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture.
In 1953 she joined the Russian Museum as a tour guide.
In 1957 - 1983 - artist-restorer of Old Russian painting. Pupil of restorers N.V. Pertsev and M.N. Markov. In 1965 she carried out the work on revealing the author's painting on the large icon "The Savior Almighty in Powers" (DRZh-3176) from the deesis row of the iconostasis of the Dormition Cathedral of the Great Tikhvin Monastery. In 1966 - partial uncovering of the icon from the festive row "Descent of the Holy Spirit" (DRZh-3167).
Since 1972 she has been the head of the sector of restoration of Old Russian painting. She took an active part in expeditionary activities, in the preparation of major exhibitions ("Painting of Ancient Pskov", "Painting of Ancient Novgorod", "Painting of the Petrine Age", "Dionysius and the Art of Moscow XV-XVI Centuries"). She carried out a number of works for museums in Petrozavodsk, Arkhangelsk, Vologda, Kirillov, led the restoration of monuments of ancient Belarusian painting for the State Art Museum of the BSSR (Minsk), participated in the restoration of the mural painting of the St. Sophia Cathedral in Vologda and others. The main restoration works in the Russian Museum: "St. Nicholas in Hagiography with the image of the Savior, the Mother of God, Kozma and Damian" from the village of Ozerevo, early 15th century, "Our Lady of Hodegetria" from the village of Lyubani, second half of the 14th century, icons of the festive row of the iconostasis of the Assumption Cathedral of the Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery and a number of others.
In 1977-1980, in parallel with her work at the Russian Museum, she conducted diploma work at the restoration department of the Repin Institute of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture in Leningrad. During these years she took part in summer works on restoration of monumental painting of the Vologda Sofia Cathedral (1686-1688) and the Church of St. John the Baptist (1717). While working in the Church of St. John the Baptist she developed a unique method of uncovering the original author's painting from later layering using ethylenediamitetetraacetic acid.
Since 1983 she has been the head of the restoration department of the Leningrad Art School named after V.A. Serov. Many of her students now work as restorers in the country's largest museums.
She was a member of the working group of the State Commission for Certification of Easel Painting Restorers under the Ministry of Culture of the USSR (later - the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation) until the liquidation of the Commission in 2004.