Biography and informationEdit
Born in Brest-Litovsk (now Brest, Belarus) 1 (13) January 1875 in the family of a military engineer. Enrolling in 1896 in St. Petersburg Academy of arts, in 1896-1903 he studied at the sculpture Department at G. R. Zaleman and V. A. Beklemishev. In 1904 he attended the Academy of P. Julien. Lived in St. Petersburg, while traveling through the ancient Russian cities and monasteries. He was a member of the "Union of Russian artists" (from 1910) and "World of art" (from 1912).
Won a name for himself primarily as a sculptor. Initially adhered to impressionism (a series of portraits of the family von Anrep, including the artist's B. B. von Anrep; gypsum, 1907, Russian Museum), developing in parallel a distinctive modernist style that transforms the form in generalized symbolic compositions. Expressive painted their works (usually made from plaster or wood), seeking to revive the bright sculptural polychromy of the middle Ages and Renaissance (the bust of Leonardo da Vinci, 1906, Tretyakov gallery; a Noble boyar (Marfa Posadnitsa), 1910, Russian Museum). Engaged in artistic porcelain. Continued to work as a master of portrait sculpture. Often referring to the grounds of national antiquities, became one of the brightest representatives of a modernist "Russian style". Rewrote the Slavonic Word about Igor's regiment, and decorated it with their ornaments and illustrations (1900-1906, Tretyakov gallery). Successfully acted as a painter and set designer (sketches of scenery for the Opera snow maiden by N..Rimsky-Korsakov, Maryinsky theatre, 1910; Russian Museum and Tretyakov gallery). Medieval iconography found in his art a new colorful and rhythmic dynamics and expression.
In the beginning of the First world war he was in Paris and in Russia did not return, remaining in France. He lived in Paris and in the South near Cannes. Continued to work productively as a painter, Illustrator, sculptor and set designer (design of ballet Russian wedding the music of M. I. Glinka for theatre Bat N.F.Baliyeva, 1926; etc.). In 1925 he was one of the founders of the society "Icon", set the goal to care about the traditions of Orthodox religious art. Made an outstanding contribution to the continuation of these traditions, decorating their icons and frescoes in many churches of the Russian Diaspora, including Sergius metochion in Paris, where Stelletsky was the head of decorative works (1925-1927), as well as performed a number of relief icons and the crucifix with the inscription in memory of those killed in the First world war. In old age, almost blind and spent his later years in a nursing home in Sainte-geneviève-des-Bois near Paris. Died Stelletsky in Sainte-geneviève-des-Bois, 12 February 1947.