(1884, -1956 in Riga, in Riga), architect, painter.
Graduated from the Architectural faculty of the Riga Polytechnic Institute, his education continued in the Studio of L. N. Benoa, at the Higher Art school at St. Petersburg Academy of arts. After graduating, the artist continues his career as a teacher in St. Petersburg, later – in Pskov and Tallinn.
B 1920 he returned to Latvia, where he gets a job at the architectural faculty of the University of Latvia. From 1945 he was awarded the title of Professor and Honored worker of arts of Latvia. He runs workshops in design and fine art. Sometimes implements scenographic projects in the Russian drama theatre in Riga.
Antonov is one of the founders of the Riga Graphic society (1928 – 32).
Travel to cultural centers of Europe – Belgium, France, Italy and other cities in other countries are reflected in his watercolours, canvases and drawings. Separate groups dedicated to Riga and Tallinn.
As an artist at exhibitions started to participate since 1912(including different urban types, figures, buildings).
Posthumous exhibition in Riga in 1957, Pskov, Tallinn, and St. Petersburg, 1958..
Drawing fascinated since childhood. First studied with the landscape painter Professor Yu Yu Clover. In 1909 he graduated from Riga Polytechnic Institute, where he received an engineer-architect. In the same year moved to St. Petersburg, where he studied at the Academy of fine Arts before 1914 28 may (10 June) 1914 awarded the title of artist-architect for the building project of the State Council.
For success in teaching was awarded a two-year pensionerstva in Europe. Visited Italy, France, Germany, performed there are many urban landscapes.
In 1915 he was invited to teach composition and drawing at the art-industrial school im. N. F. Fan-der-flit in Pskov. Accepting the offer, lived and worked in Pskov until the 1920s.
In 1920, Antonov returned to Latvia. He taught at the University of Latvia, where from 1921 he was an assistant Professor E. Laube in the architectural Studio.
Entered the Society of Latvian architects, worked on the projects of reconstruction of old Riga. In scientific work dealt with the problem of the use of folk forms of housing in modern construction.
Many prominent public buildings erected in Riga project Antonova: cinemas, hotel, printing and others. In 1926 he built the building of the newspaper "Today" on Dzirnavu, in 1930 — the restaurant "Lido" in Dzintari, cinema "Gaysma" on Tallinas, 1935 — Latvia pavilion at the world exhibition in Brussels, for which he was awarded two gold medals and the order of Leopold II.
From 1926 to 1931 was the chief decorator of the Russian drama theatre in Riga. Did a lot of performances also in Latvian theatres.
In painting, the artist drew a predominantly urban landscape: he wrote the Old Riga, complementing the types of invented stories and kind of scenery, skillfully mastered the specifics of architectural drawing. Often wrote Jurmala.
The style of Antonov — characteristic, very recognizable and memorable. Often the artist did not sign their work.
The last architectural work of Antonova was in 1954, the hotel "Riga". The whole writing team was awarded a prize, however, Antonov — head of the project turned it down, because contrary to his plan for the hotel was placed in abundance than, in his opinion, the disfigured project. The excitement associated with the construction of the hotel "Riga", led to the fact that Antonov was seriously ill, suffered a stroke and soon died.
Posthumous exhibition Antonov in 1956 in Riga, which included more than 600 works, was organized by A. F. Egleton, Director of the Riga Museum of art, a former student at the Pskov Antonov art-industrial school.
The 90th anniversary of the Antonov State art Museum of Latvia had another of his great exhibition.
Graphic and pictorial works of the artist are in the Russian Museum, in many museums of Riga, particularly in the Art Museum, Architectural Museum, Museum of history of Riga and navigation, in museums in Tallinn, Moscow, Jurmala, in the Pskov Museum-reserve, as well as in many private collections in Latvia and America.