Born in St. Petersburg in the family of General. He studied at the Moscow school of painting (1883 — 1887) and St. Petersburg AI (1887 — 1888). Masterfully painted watercolor historical and allegorical subjects, scenes from the life of the boyar and illustrations of Russian fairy tales. Worked for many magazines («World of art», «Golden fleece», «field», «Clown» etc.), illustrated the works of A. Pushkin, M. Lermontov, N. Gogol. His drawings were published a number of postcards. Worked for the Imperial porcelain factory, created the miniatures for jewelry Faberge firm. In 1914 his watercolor work «Cuirassier» was purchased by the Empress Alexandra Feodorovna. A member of the TPA and the St. Petersburg t-VA artists. From 1910 he lived permanently in Paris, where he enjoyed great popularity. He performed for the Paris publishing illustrations for a number of publications, has created several series of postcards on the themes of Russian antiquities publishing Lapin. In 1921 he participated in the exhibition «artists of the Imperial AI Petrograd». He was a member of MT society of mutual aid and charity Russian artists in Paris. He was buried in Sainte-geneviève-des-Bois.