Friedrich (Ferdinand)
Karlovich Leht

Russia • 1887−1961

One of the founders of the Association of artists of revolutionary Russia (AHRR). Graduated with a minor silver medal drawing school of the Imperial society for the Encouragement of arts (1906), in 1914 he graduated from the Higher art school at the Imperial Academy of Arts in Petrograd. In 1921 F. lekht is a number of posts in the people's Commissariat for the artistic direction. The main Museum and a theatre expert. Some time was Deputy Director of the state Tretyakov gallery (Moscow), and then Director of the Theater. K. Stanislavsky. In 1933 F. lekht became Director of exhibition management "Vsekohudozhnik". As an active member AHRR, he participated in all exhibitions and events; was a member of the Presidium of the AHRR. After the great Patriotic war F. lekht devoted myself to teaching, working first as a Dean of the faculty of painting MGHI them. V. I. Surikov, and in 1949, moved to Estonia, Director of the State art Institute of the Estonian SSR. His works adorn the Tretyakov gallery, Museum of Revolution, Museum of the red Army, and a number of other museums.

The most prominent public figure of the Soviet art, artist, sculptor, one of the founders of the Association of artists of revolutionary Russia (AHRR). Estonian by nationality, was born April 6, 1887 in the family of porhovsk the tradesman Carl Lehto in the Pskov province.

Soon began to paint and in 1906 graduated with a small silver medal drawing school of the Imperial society for the Encouragement of arts, where the Director was Roerich. In parallel, he studied at the 12-th St. Petersburg high school, from which he graduated September 23, 1907. In 1914 he graduated from the Higher art school at the Imperial Academy of Arts in Petrograd. Excellent knowledge in sculpture and other items awarded him the title of the artist with giving him the right of receipt to public service and teaching drawing in schools. The diploma was presented by the rector Alexander Benois.

In 1921 F. lekht is a number of posts in the people's Commissariat for the artistic direction. The main Museum and a theatre expert. Some time was Deputy Director of the State Tretyakov gallery, and then Director of the Theater named after K. Stanislavsky.

In 1933 F. lekht became Director of exhibition management "Vsekohudozhnik", repeatedly elected to the Boards: member of the Moscow Soviet in 1920, as a candidate of the Moscow Soviet in 1927.In 1933 F. lekht became part of the artistic jury for the competition of the Palace of Soviets and was a member of the artistic-technical Commission. Participated in the design of the red square in Moscow. His giant sculpture — the figure of the working—set in red square, and it had been there from 1922 to 1924 while this place is not built the Lenin Mausoleum. K. lekht won the competition and created a tombstone Bauman in Moscow, opened in 1926, the fountains at the Moscow Hippodrome in 1932. As an active member AHRR, he participated in all exhibitions and events; was a member of the Presidium of the AHRR.

F. lekht was a great resoulution, preferring constructive objects like bridges, new buildings, construction. When Glaviskusstvo decided to send to the farms and industrial centers of artists, lekht drove one of the first on the scene Bereznyakovskiy chemical plant. In 1930-1932 years lekht draw pictures of the beginning of construction of the plant until its start-up: figures, portraits, landscapes. Among the picturesque and graphic works of these years - "Railway bridges" (1933— 1934), Ivanovo GRES "Power of stern" and others.

F. lekht worked in the subway. Together with the artist, Bardachenko and the architect of St. Basil's, he created the mosaics in the Moscow metro Avtozavodskaya in staniey. His works adorn the Tretyakov gallery, Museum of Revolution, Museum of the red Army, the Museum of Sverdlovsk and several other museums. After world war II Friedrich lekht devoted myself to teaching, working first as a Dean of the faculty of painting, Moscow state art Institute named after V. I. Surikov, and in 1949, moved to Estonia, Director of the State art Institute of the Estonian SSR.

Go to biography

Publication

View all publications

Exhibitions

All exhibitions of the artist
View all artist's artworks
Whole feed