Alexey
Viktorovich Shchusev

Russia • 1873−1949

Biography and information

Student of the Academy of arts from 1891 30 Oct 1895 – the title of class artist for architecture. In 1897, the artist-architect for the project: "Manor". In 1898 he was sent abroad pensioner of the Academy. Since 1908 member of the Academy of arts. In 1910, academician of architecture. Builder of the Russian pavilion for works of art in Venice (1914), the Church in the estate Kharitonenko G., Kazansky station in Moscow and a friend.

(Kondakov)

He studied at St. Petersburg Academy of arts (1910 academician). In 1926-29 the Director of the Tretyakov gallery, the founder and Director of the Museum of architecture in Moscow (1946). In 1913-18 he taught at the Stroganov school of industrial art, 1920-24 - in VKhUTEMAS, in 1948-1949 at the Moscow architectural Institute. Reconstructed the Church of St. Basil in Ovruch (XII century), the Marfo-Maryinsky convent (1908-12). Creatively developed the traditions of Russian architecture (eg. complex of the Kazan station in Moscow, 1914-26). In 1918-25, developed a plan for reconstruction of Moscow, was the chief architect of the all-Russian agricultural and handicraft industrial exhibition in Moscow (1922-23), Moskvoretsky bridge, the Opera and ballet in Tashkent, the metro station “Komsomolskaya-ring”. Shchusev developed a project of restoration of the destroyed during the great Patriotic war of the cities of Istria, Novgorod, etc., the Author of over 200 scientific papers and articles on architecture.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schusev, Alexey (26.9.1873, Chisinau - 24.5.1949, Moscow), architect, honored architect of the USSR (1928), academician of the USSR (1943), four times winner of the Stalin prize (1941, 1946, 1948, 1952 posthumously). The son of an official. Educated at the St. Petersburg Academy of arts (1897). In 1913-18 he taught at the Stroganov school of industrial art. Became known as the author of the project of the Kazan station in Moscow (1914 - 26, 1941). From 1918 head of the architectural Studio and Construction Department of the Moscow Soviet. In 1918-24 he spearheaded the drafting of the plan of reconstruction of Moscow - "New Moscow", which is in favor of a new ideology planned the ruthless destruction of the greatest monuments of history, freeing a massive and tasteless projects. From 1919 the head. research Department architectural branch in the Department of arts and artistic industry of the people's Commissariat of education of RSFSR. In July - Dec. 1919 at the same time head of the architectural workshops in St. Petersburg. In 1925, in fact, became the chief architect of Stalin, his opinion in matters of architecture became law. Considered a founder of socialist realism in architecture. In 1926-29 the Director of the Tretyakov gallery. His project was built the Mausoleum of V. I. Lenin (1924-30), the hotel Moskva (1932-38). the administrative building of the NKVD on Dzerzhinsky square (1946), the station of the Moscow metro station "Komsomolskaya-ring". During the great Patriotic war has developed the project of reconstruction of the city of Istra (1942-43), the Pulkovo Observatory in Leningrad (1944), participated in the development of the master plan for reconstruction and rehabilitation of Novgorod (1943), Chisinau (1945), Stalingrad, Minsk, etc. Organizer and Director of the Museum of architecture (1946-49).

  • Artistic associations
  • Learning
  • Students