Choose a language
Use Arthive in the language you prefer
Sign up
Create an account
Register to use Arthive functionality to the maximum

Sergey
Pavlovich Potemkin

Russia 
1787−1858
Subscribe0

The last representative of the Ducal family of Potemkin (son of P. S. Potemkin), the owner of the land in Rilsky and the counties of Putivl Kursk province, including estates and a cloth factory in the village of glushkovo. At birth was granted to the officers. Participated in the wars of 1805 - 1809. Lived in Moscow in Prechistenka, in your own home. He was the foreman of the Moscow English club, where he became acquainted with A. S. Pushkin, was the best man at the wedding of the poet (the wife of the count was planted by the mother).

As a member of the society of lovers of Russian literature, P. put in his "Readings" a few poems; the largest of them: "And my dreams" (vol. VIII) and "To the past the coming of 1812 and 1813" (vol. XI). Around the same time participated in the translation of "Athaliah" Rasin (has not been published, but enjoyed success on the stage). Printed "Reflections at the tomb of field Marshal Kutuzov, Prince of Smolensk" (St. Petersburg, 1813) and "the Last song of the Swan" (1853).

Project P. in his estate, in the village of glushkovo Rylsky district of the rebuilt brick Trinity Church and built a five-tiered, free-standing bell tower (1822). To 1840-th P. had 5 million rubles of private debts and public debts, resulting in the control of a cloth factory, and all his estates passed into the hands of the state. established by the Senate Commission on guardianship. Died childless. He was buried in the village of glushkovo at Trinity Church (demolished in 1933).

Lit.: An obituary, written by Longinov in the "Moscow Gazette", 1858, No. 29 and "the Memory of Sergey Pavlovich Potemkin" Zhikhareva in the "St. Petersburg Vedomosti", 1858, № 48 and 60.

Powered by Yandex.Translate

    Exhibitions

    All exhibitions of the artist
    Whole feed
    View 0 artworks by the artist