Shebuev, Vasily Kuzmich, painter; b. in 1777; was educated at the Academy of Arts under the direction of Akimov and Ugryumova, from 1803 to 1807 he lived in Italy. In the year 1823. Since 1832 was Academy rector. Two years later, Shebuev was appointed observer for the painting St. Isaac’s Cathedral, where he painted several icons. The best works of Shebuev: "SV. Basil, St. Gregory the Theologian," "Taking the virgin into heaven" (in the Kazan Cathedral in St. Petersburg), "The feat of the merchant Igolkin" (Hermitage), Tsarskoye Selo lamp and a few sketches in the Rumyantsev Museum. Shebuev died in 1855.
Shebuev (Vasily Kuzmich) — a historical painter (1777 — 1855), was adopted by the pupils of the Imperial Academy of Arts in 1792 the Main mentors in her was Akimov and G. I. ugriumov. Graduated from her course in 1797 with a small gold medal, awarded to him for the written on the program the "Death of Hippolytus" and the rank of class XIV, but left at the Academy and a retired assistant teacher in the life class. In 1800, recognized as assigned to the Academy, and in 1803 sent at public expense to Rome for improvement. There he painted cardboard and the painting "the beheading of St. John the Baptist" (the growth). In Rome he produced two songs: "the Christening of people in Kiev" and "Christ in the judgment seat, together with two robbers." Returned to St. Petersburg in 1807 and shortly after, the thumbnail image of "Taking the virgin into heaven", later written by him in the choir of the Kazan Cathedral was awarded the title of academician. For a picture of the huge size of the "Peter the Great at the battle of Poltava", the Academy made it to the adjunct professors of historical painting and entrusted to him the teaching in their classrooms. In this post sh drew attention to the serious study of pet Academy of the human body and built for them a guide to anthropometry. In 1812 he was appointed chief teacher of drawing in the educational institutions of Department of Empress Maria, and built the Academy in the rank of Professor. In 1821 made Director of the Imperial tapestry manufactory in 1823, for the execution of a vast dome in the Church of Tsarskoe Selo Palace, received the title of court painter. Since 1832, he has held the post of rector of the Academy, and subsequently, in 1842, honored rector of painting and sculpture; finally, in 1844, he was appointed observer for the fulfillment of paintings for Saint Isaac’s Cathedral. In the history of Russian painting sh occupies a very prominent place as one of the main representatives of the pseudoclassical direction of painting. Contemporaries called him the "Russian Poussin, surpassed by this artist"; a fine artist in the academic sense, but not strong and somewhat harsh in flavor, he really resembled his style of Poussin, but did not surpass him in his work, and was only his imitator. As first a teacher and then head of teaching painting at the Academy he had a huge impact on the development of many Russian artists, including Karl Bryullov, A. A. Ivanov, F. A. Bruni, P. V. basin and other luminaries of our school. The main works of sh., in addition to the above three large paintings on the dome the pillars of the Kazan Cathedral, depicting episodes from the life of St. Basil the Great, Gregory the theologian and John Chrysostom; of the image of the "Resurrection of Lazarus", "the resurrection of the son of the widow from Nain," "Savior in the house of Lazarus" and "Christ blessing the children" in St. Isaac’s Cathedral; the image of "Saint Catherine", "Saint Prince Alexander Nevsky" and "the last Supper" in the iconostasis of the chapel of the Academy of Arts; a huge dome ceiling in the meeting room of the Academy: "The celebration on Olympus, on the occasion of the placement of fine arts in Russia" (1833) and the painting "the Feat of the merchant Igolkin" (in the Museum of Emperor Alexander III in Saint-Petersburg).