Born in Antwerp. Studied in Ghent, where he worked with Hugo van der Gus. Mentioned in documents since 1475 1460 for years In the work of this artist combines the tradition of Dutch and Italian painting. The main work of van Ghent made them before moving to Italy in 1471 — "Triptych of the Crucifixion" in the Cathedral of St. Bavo (Ghent).
Justus van Gent was invited by the Duke of Urbino, federigo da Montefeltro to work on the decoration of the Palazzo Ducale.