Alexey Petrovich Bogolyubov was born on 16 March 1824 in the village Pomerania, the former Novgorod province. His father was Colonel Peter Gavrilovich Bogolyubov, a veteran of the Patriotic war of 1812, and the mother Thekla A. Radishchev, the daughter of the famous Russian revolutionary Democrat of the eighteenth century A. N. Radishcheva.
He was educated in the marine corps, served as aide-de-camp to Vice-Admiral Alexander A. durasova. While still a cadet, Bogolyubov began to paint.
He died in Paris but his body was brought to Russia and buried in St. Petersburg.
Alexey Petrovich Bogolyubov (16 March 1824, the village Pomerania, Novgorod province, Russian Empire — October 27, 1896, Paris, France) — Russian marine painter.
He was educated in the marine corps, served as aide-de-camp to Vice-Admiral Alexander A. durasova. While still a cadet, Bogolyubov began to paint. In 1849, were among the officers of the ship "Kamchatka", which went to Madeira the Duke Maximilian of Leuchtenberg. Acquainted with pictures Bogolyubov, Duke advised the young officer to devote himself to art.
In 1850 Bogolyubov entered the Academy of fine arts. His artistic education he mostly obliged, mn. Vorobyov and BP Villevalde. Drew the attention of two types of Kronstadt Harbor and the painting "the Flood in Kronstadt Harbor in 1824". In 1852 he received a second gold medal in three paintings: "View of the Smolny convent from the Okhta river", "Battle of brig "mercury" with two Turkish ships" (from the Turkish war of 1828) and "the Departure of HIH Duke Maximilian of Leuchtenberg from Lisbon".
Bogolyubov left the Academy in 1853 with the first Golden medal and was appointed chief artist of the naval staff. Leaving naval service, he spent seven years traveling through Europe. In Geneva used the advice of the famous Kalama; in Paris he worked in the Studio of Isabey; for two years studied under Andreas Achenbach.
In 1856 Bogolyubov visited Constantinople, on the Danube and in Sinop, with the purpose to write some sketches for paintings, commissioned to him by Emperor Nicholas Pavlovich. Upon return received the title of academician, and in 1860 Professor of painting. Then the Bogolyubov arranged in the halls of the Academy exhibition of his works in favor of the widows and orphans of artists. At this exhibition special attention of the public drew the picture of the history of our fleet, ordered by the Emperor, in particular, "Sinop" and "Kermes in Amsterdam" . Emperor Alexander II ordered Bogolyubov to write in pictures the history of the Navy of Peter the Great. The last Turkish war, in its black sea and Danube exploits, similarly reflected in the work of Bogolyubov. On behalf of the hydrographic Department of the Ministry of Maritime Bogolyubov sailed through the Gulf of Finland and archipelago, portrayed the coast and measured locations of the ports and passages of the archipelago. The same Atlas was done to them and in the Caspian sea. In 1871 Bogolyubov wrote to the Orthodox Church in Paris several murals. In the same year he gave the Academy of up to 225 sketches in oils and 800 drawings and Sepia watercolours.
Recent years lived in Paris, only occasionally visiting Russia. Thanks to his initiative, in Paris settled a society of mutual aid of Russian artists. In Saratov they arranged the Museum named after Radishchev, which he is the grandson of. Bogolyubov's works are in the collections of Russian museums, in particular in the Tretyakov gallery — "the Golden horn", "the Mouth of the Neva," "Summer night on the Neva river at the seaside" and others.
In Moscow, in the former mansion of the artist, located at the address: St. Sushevskaya., 14 based art Library, which in 1996 named after A. P. Bogolyubov.
He died in Paris on November 07, 1896, but his body was brought to Russia and buried in St. Petersburg.