Biography and informationEdit
Together with Ferdinand Georg Waldmuller is one of the most influential artists portrait painters of the XIX century.
Friedrich Amerling was the son of Franz Amerling, wire artist who worked with silver and gold, and his wife Theresa Kargl. In the years 1815-1824 Amerling studied at the Vienna Academy of fine arts. After that, he attended classes at the school of engraving of Joseph Kliber, then moved to class "historical foundations of drawing" Hubert Maurer and Karl Salhofer.
In 1824, Gerard moved to Prague with his uncle Henry, and up to 1826 he studied at the local Academy of Josef Bergler Younger. 1827-1828 years he spent in London, where the Amerling was impressed by Thomas Lawrence. Later, Gerard went to Paris, where he worked with Horace Vernet, and Rome. From 1828 Amerling settled in Vienna and began to receive orders from the Imperial house, nobility, and burghers.
In 1829, received the award from Jacob Reichel Vienna Academy. During the life of Gerard have made many long trips in 1836 and 1838 to Italy, 1838 to the Netherlands, 1839 — Munich, 1840-43. — Rome, 1882 in Spain, 1883 in England, 1884 — Greece, in 1885, in Scandinavia, reaching the North Cape and 1886 to Egypt and Palestine.
In 1878 Amerling was awarded the knighthood. In the house, acclaimed by the Viennese artist was visited by famous writers and musicians, such as Franz Liszt.
In 1858 Gerard acquired in Vienna, Palace in the Vienna area, Gumpendorf and furnish it to your taste valuable art objects. The artist also had a large collection of wrought iron products.
Among the many awards the artist has received, and in 1879 the order of the Iron crown. Gerard was solemnly buried at the Central cemetery of Vienna. Tombstone and the Amerling monument in the city Park of Vienna in 1902 was made by the sculptor Johannes Benkom. In 1887 one of the streets of Vienna was the name of the artist. The house where he was born, and since 1978, bears the name of Amerling and is a cultural centre, which also houses the Museum of the Vienna district of Neubau. In 1948, the 60th anniversary of the death of the artist in Austria, was released a special postage stamp.