The Museum of Christian Art "Church and Archaeological Study" is located in the Trinity-Sergius Lavra, in the building of the former imperial palace of the XVII century. The collection, which contains over 20,000 works of art, belongs to the Moscow Theological Academy. It is the largest museum of the Russian Orthodox Church, the collection is rightly called the "Hermitage of the Church
The museum's exhibition tells the story of the development of Christian art, beginning with the Roman catacombs and ending with the paintings of artists of the 20th century: Viktor Vasnetsov, Mikhail Nesterov, Vasily Surikov and others. The collection is famous for masterpieces of Greek and Old Russian iconography, works of Old Believer schools and masters of the Russian North. Many items have not only artistic but also sacred value, such as the sandals of St. Sergius of Radonezh or the miracle-working statue of the Savior, mentioned in the hagiography of Blessed Matrona of Moscow
Students of the Moscow Theological Academy undergo practical training in the halls of the museum, and they also meet guests. The Academic Museum was founded in 1871 and still preserves not only the old interiors, but also the atmosphere of pre-revolutionary Russia.