The Augustiner Museum displays a municipal collection of art which was founded in the 1880s by Lord Mayor Otto Winterer. In 1909, the architect Rudolf Schmidt drafted a conversion of this former cloister into a museum. Until then, the cloister had been used by the Theater Freiburg. In 1915, the conversion had to be ceased due to the First World War. Work on the building resumed in 1919 under the direction of architectural historian Karl Gruber. The museum opened its doors in November 1923.
The visual art and sculpture collection includes works by Lucas Cranach the Elder, Anselm Feuerbach, Hans Baldung Grien, Matthias Grünewald, the Master of the Housebook, Hans Thoma, and Franz Xaver Winterhalter.
The collections that are not on display, or only partially, include a large collection of prints and drawings, decorative art, domestic artefacts from the Black Forest region, collections of coins and timepieces, and a 14th-century carpet.