Restored Masterpiece: Ercole de Roberti Ferrara was one of the important centers of the Italian Renaissance in the second half of the 15th century. One of their main representatives is Ercole de Roberti (c. 1450-1496).
Two wood panels in Dresden show two extremely narrative performances from the Passion of Christ. They are all the more important because only a few works of this artist have been preserved.
Ercole de Roberti wrote it around 1485 for the altar in the church of San Giovanni in Monte in Bologna. Two panels were inserted in the form of so-called limits in the lower plinth zone of the altar. Thanks to the comprehensive restoration, which was carried out in conjunction with the Getty Museum in Los Angeles, the outstanding artistic qualities of these paintings can be restored.
The exhibition, which continues the famous series "Restored masterpiece”, Not only presents two paintings of the Renaissance, but also gives a vivid idea of the painting technique of the master.
The exhibition, which is held in collaboration with the Paul Getty Museum, thus conveys the two main objectives of the museum: research and preservation of works of art.