Virginia Museum of Fine Arts

200 N Arthur Ashe Blvd, Richmond, Virginia
The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts has its origins in a 1919 donation of 50 paintings to the Commonwealth of Virginia by Judge and prominent Virginian John Barton Payne. The main building was designed by Peebles and Ferguson Architects of Norfolk. Construction began in 1934. The museum opened on January 16, 1936.