From the serfs. He studied at the Arzamas school of painting AV Stupin (1824 - 1827), then AH (1831 - 1837). Received medals: in 1835 - 2 silver; in 1836 - the same; in 1837 the title of a free artist. Until 1848 he lived in St. Petersburg, then in Poltava. Wrote a number of portraits, paintings and copies of paintings from the Hermitage. He taught at the cadet corps in St. Petersburg (1839 - 1848), the Poltava cadet corps (1848 - 1885). The author notes, "memories of old teachers," published in the journal "Russian antiquity" for 1887.