Choose a language
Use Arthive in the language you prefer
Sign up
Create an account
Register to use Arthive functionality to the maximum

Alexander
Ivanovich Krakau

Russia 
1817−1888
Subscribe0

Biography and information

  Edit

Krakau Alexander-Georg Ivanovich

1817-4-8 - 1888-4-12

A graduate of the Academy of arts from 1831 Received medals: in 1837 – 2 silver; in 1838, 1 and 2 silver; in 1839 – 1 gold for the program: "the Project theatre school". In the same year – the title of artist XIV class and awarded a sword. In 1842 he was sent by the pensioner of Academy of arts abroad. In 1850, the title of academician; in 1853 – the Professor, for "Greco-Russian Church"; in 1867, teacher of the Academy of arts in 1871 – tenured Professor 2 degrees; in 1888, the title of Professor of 1 degree.

(Kondakov)

Russian architect, academician of architecture (1850), Professor of the Academy of fine Arts (1867-1888).

He received his General education at the German school St. Peter (1825-1832), after which, in the same 1832 Krakau entered the Academy of arts in the class of academician of architecture K. A. ton. In 1839 Krakau graduated from the Academy of fine Arts with a Grand gold medal, which gave him the right to go abroad for further studies. But he exercised this right he could only after three years. Before that, a young architect he worked with his teacher K. A. ton in a drawing Commission for the construction of the Temple of Christ the Savior in Moscow. In 1842 Krakau went and Italy, where he studied the monuments of architecture and participated in the fundamental work of their academic comrades A. I. Rezanov and N. L. Benua for the restoration Horvatsko Cathedral. Krakau returned to Russia in 1850. Upon returning from abroad Krakau was awarded the title of academician of architecture and he was enrolled as a full-time architect in a Drawing Office of His Imperial Majesty. In 1853 the draft of the Greco-Russian Church, Alexander Krakau was awarded the title of Professor of architecture.

The next 1854 Krakau was appointed senior architect to the Board of the First district of roads. In this position, he created one of his most famous buildings — the building of the Baltic station on Obvodny channel (1855-1857 gg). This station was built on the personal funds of Baron Alexander Stieglitz, who was entrusted Krakau the work. In addition, his project was built the mansion of Baron A. L. Stieglitz (English embankment., 68). And later, in the years 1878-81 Krakau in collaboration with architect R. A. Gedike created a project and built a building for the School of technical drawing used. Stieglitz (Salt lane., 13). Also to Baron A. L. Stieglitz was built dacha on Kamenny island and the Church-mausoleum in Ivan-Gorod (Narva).

From 1867 until the end of his life Krakau is a Professor of architecture in the classes of the Academy. Their teaching in the classrooms of the Academy of Krakau has proven invaluable in the education of their students and followers.

For special merits in the field of architecture Krakau was awarded the order of St. Stanislaus of the first degree and SV. Anna of the first degree. In 1882, the architect was made a privy councillor, and in 1885 received hereditary nobility.

Sons Alexander Ivanovich: Alexander Krakau - an outstanding Russian electrochimic and Vasily A. Krakau - Director of the school, Karl Ivanovich May.

Alexander Krakau died on 12 APR 1888. According to the will, his funeral was held in the Lutheran St. Peter's Church on Nevsky Prospekt, and was buried at the Smolensk cemetery.

Did you like the article? Share it with friends
  Share    Tweet   
  • Learning
  • Teacher
  • Students